Feb 01, 2021
Daily Shampoo for Kids: Why Is It Necessary
From the start, we’re told to never bathe kids on a daily basis. That if you do, you’ll dry out their hair and scalp leading to other problems. So you follow the rules and your little’s hair remains soft and luxurious. But what happens when your little squish turns into a smelly kid? Your once sweet-smelling baby is now coming home from school and activities with a sweaty wet scalp smelling like stink. How could you not insist on giving their stinky, sweaty hair a daily cleanse? A parent’s got to do, what a parent’s got to do. But is it really a bad thing to wash your children’s hair every day? While washing your child’s hair every day isn’t always a necessity, factors including activity levels and age make lathering up their locks more frequently the way to go, here’s why:
Benefits of Using a Kids Daily Shampoo and Conditioner
While a quick Google search leads to countless bloggers boasting reasons NOT to wash hair daily because it dries out the scalp and strips hair of natural oils – though daily shampooing isn’t for everyone – it IS for kids who need a wash every day and aren’t feeling dryer.
1. Your kids are active
2. Your child has an oily scalp – while natural oils on the scalp are good, too much oil is not. Not only does it lead to greasy hair but also fungus and seborrhea, a condition that leaves the scalp itchy and scaly. Wash daily to help remove excess oils. Shampoo daily, but consider conditioning less frequently to avoid a weighed down appearance.
3. Your child has pin straight hair – the scalp’s natural oils travel faster down straight strands than curly. This makes hair appear greasy.
4. You live in a very humid climate or your child sweats a lot – sweating daily (whether from exercise or a hot climate) can lead to an excess buildup of oil on the scalp. Washing daily helps remove the buildup and prevent dandruff.
5. Your child has dandruff – giving your child’s hair a daily cleanse helps remove dead skin cells that can clump up and fall off (aka dandruff). Using a gentle, lightweight shampoo will reduce risk of drying out the scalp making dandruff worse.
6. You want your kid’s hair to grow – washing hair helps remove dead skin follicles and stimulate hair growth. If you want your child’s hair to grow faster, consider washing more frequently.
7. Your child has thin, fine hair – texture of hair makes a difference when it comes to how often you wash your child’s hair. Fine and thin hair tends to become greasy faster than thicker hair because it’s easier for scalp oils to travel down the hair strands. Washing daily may help your little’s locks stay grease-free.
Natural Ingredients to Look for in Daily Shampoos
Still not sold on everyday shampoo and daily conditioner? There are gentle shampoos for daily use that won’t strip your children’s hair of natural oils from their scalp. Here’s what to look for:
Green Tea – You may already drink green tea, but did you know that green tea for hair is effective in reducing hair loss and promoting hair regrowth? That’s right, a lightweight shampoo containing green tea can give your child’s locks a natural boost.
Rice Protein – Rice protein is added to natural kids shampoos because of its ability to help moisturize and volumize hair without weighing it down. It’s also effective in strengthening strands, detangling and enhancing shine.
Aloe – While aloe has been used for centuries to treat burns and skin wounds, aloe for hair also has great skin benefits including strengthening kids hair and improving the health of the scalp. A daily conditioner containing aloe will penetrate the hair follicles helping to condition and improve damaged, dry hair.
Papaya – Since synthetic fragrances may cause allergic reactions, a gentle shampoo will contain papaya for a natural fragrance helping to prevent any itchy, uncomfortable skin reactions. Plus, papaya extract helps boost hair shine and tame frizz.
Fairy Tales Hair Care is proud to announce their brand new collection, Daily Cleanse, which comes with a daily shampoo, daily conditioner, and multi-tasker kids spray, that are of salon quality at a lower cost. Starting at $8.95, these products contain natural ingredients, like green tea, rice protein and papaya, for a lightweight formula, perfect for everyday use.
Stay safe, be smart and be well.
Risa Barash, Founder & Owner & the entire Fairy Tales Hair Care Family