May 06, 2021
5 Steps to Keep Kids Hair Chlorine Free
Protect your children’s hair from summer days at the pool
Sweet summertime – long days in the sun, splashing in the pool or at the beach – what could be better. Problem is, chlorine, sea salts and minerals from the water can damage is damaging to hair causing dry, brittle, split ends and green-tinged hair – no, thank you! Since there’s no way you’re keeping your kids indoors this summer, taking a few extra steps to protect and prevent sun damaged hair is just the right compromise. Here’s how to ensure soft, silky smooth locks all summer long.
- Soon as you get to the pool, wet your child’s hair. This fills up the hair shaft making it difficult for chlorine to penetrate and damage the hair.
- Then spray on a conditioning spray before getting in the pool, lake or ocean. Choose a product that contains coconut oil and banana leaf extract to coat the hair and protect the cuticles. Conditioning sprays also add moisture and help prevent dry, brittle hair.
- Remember to rinse with water as soon as your child gets out of the pool to wash away chlorine, sunscreen and other harsh minerals that may have built up.
- Use a gentle chlorine removal shampoo like Fairy Tales Lifeguard shampoo that uses citrus fruit extracts to gently remove chlorine, green, sea salts, and minerals. Be wary of harsh products that strip the hair leaving it dry and a tangled mess.
- Finally, use a conditioner with natural ingredients to replenish moisture, detangle and help seal off the hair shaft. Look for products containing aloe, jojoba, vitamins E and B that help restore moisture, shine and manageability. Tip for deep conditioning, after applying conditioner, comb through the hair with a wide-tooth comb and leave on for an extra 1-2 minutes. Rinse with cool water to seal the hair shaft.
When kids are more active with swimming and summer fun, they often need their hair washed more frequently. Problem is, this can strip the hair of natural oils and barriers. It’s important to use gentle, sulfate, paraben, and chemical free shampoos and conditioners to prevent damaging the hair.
Dry, brittle hair not only doesn’t look attractive, but it can lead to split ends and a seriously short hair cut if not properly taken care of. Natural ingredients and fragrances are a must and are just a few of the buzzword’s parents should look for in kids' shampoos and conditioners to ensure soft, silky hair all year long.
You can find natural ingredients like grapefruit peel oil, orange flower extract and pineapple fruit extract in Fairy Tales Hair Care’s Sun & Swim Collection, which comes with a Clarifying Shampoo, Conditioner, and After-Sun Spray With a blend of Aloe, jojoba, vitamins E and B, these hair products for kids will help to gently clarify and condition all hair types.
Founder & Owner of the entire Fairy Tales Hair Care Family